The Education Portal of the Sultanate of Oman, won the Middle East Award for e-initiatives category ,which was organized parallel with GCC e-Government and electronic service Symposium held in Dubai 21st -25th of May2011.
Various governmental institutions in the Middle East competed for this award, where the educational portal was nominated for the top prize by top information technology & electronic services experts. This nomination based on preset criteria geared to choose and honor the best innovative solutions that effectively cater to developing governmental services using information technology.
The portal won The United Nations Award for 2011 in the category of improved public service delivery
Oman Education Portal won the first place in the United Nations Award for 2011 in the category of improved public service delivery. The UNs reward comes as an articulation of Ministry of Education ongoing fruitful efforts in deploying technology in education and providing exclusive digital services for the society. The United Nations award samples the best world-wide experiences in government's electronic services. Note that the portal has already sustained a golden record reaping many accolades on local level and also on Pan Arab level consecutively; to name some of these achievements:
• First prize for best website in the Sultanate of Oman, 2007.
• First prize for best educational site in the Sultanate of Oman, 2007
• 3rd place for best educational website in the Sultanate of Oman, 2008
• Second Prize for best electronic project in Oman, Digital Oman, 2009
• Second Prize for best educational site in the Sultanate of Oman, 2010
• First prize, best electronic content in the Sultanate of Oman, 2010.
• Design innovation shield award in the e-Government websites at Pan Arab
• Second place award in ministries category in Pan Arab websites 2010.
• First prize in the United Nations Award for 2011 in the category of improved public service delivery
• Middle East Electronic Services Excellence e-initiatives Award 2011.
• First Prize in "Pan Arab Web" best ministerial website.
It's worthy to mention that at the same competition; the Information Technology Authority (ITA) achieved first place in the category of developing knowledge management in Governments in addition to the first prize accolades reaped by Central recruitment system of the Ministry of Civil Service in preventing and combating corruption in public service category. The third win by the mobile unit project for breast cancer screening of Civil Society Association to combat cancer which won the second prize in promoting the elimination of gender disparities category.